Saturday, July 12, 2008

What an amazing day....


Where do I begin? How should I start this entry? I really dont know...there were so many great, amazing things that happened on Friday.

I woke up at around nine to a phone call from a woman name Lisa. She told that she's from Fox News and that she would like to do a news segment on me and the Fishing Tournament. She has asked to meet with me at the Cancer Care at eleven to do the story. So I dressed myself up in my favorite pink blouse and my favorite white scarf and out the door I go! I walked into the treatment and there were a camera in my face and everyone was smiling at me too. It was strange, I felt weird in my own body, talk about being a professional. I felt like a cheeseball who acted like she never saw a camera before. Lisa, the reporter and her cameraman were very friendly people they helped me to get the jitters out and told me that I dont need to be nervous. I like them! They recorded while I get my PICC flushed and hooked to the IV by Linda (one of the many lovable CC nurses!) and she also gave me some lemon drops to help me with my cough so im not just coughing the whole interview. Lisa asked me alot of questions, I tried to answer them the best of my ability. The interview went smoothly and they asked me to keep them updated with any new news before they left. I felt like a star! (or THAT GIRL who would wave awkwardly at the camera on tv shows shouting out "hi mom! dad! im on tv!" over and over in between giggling fits)

Then the main attraction began when the camera was off. I was given a big bag of fluids to prepare my kidney for the big gun. An hour later, I was finally given my yellow bag of Methotrexate. I asked the nurse, "why do they make the colors of chemo look like koolaid? EPOCH looked like orange koolaid and now Metho-goodness looked like pinneaple." Then I would begin to imagine the koolaid man bust through the walls of the cancer care treatment room shouting out "oooh yeah!" like he does in the commercials. That would be sweet. Rhonda (the nurse) laughed at my comment and said "I dont know, to make them cheery...but we both know the truth though, don't we?" Oh yes, I know the truth all too well. After an hour or so of that I had another fluid bag and the whole process was over. I went to little girls room alot throughout the treatment which the nurses sees it as a good sign while my bladder was crying for some rest. But best of all my cough was kept to a minimum and my breathing went to normal! No more ragged or ratty loud breathing. I went home happy cause I got to go home without a coughing fit and also knowing that I would be able to the benefit concert that night.

I got dressed up for the concert although it wasnt necessary. Being sick often doesnt really give you a chance to be out and about, so you stay home and sweats would turn into your best friend. Plus when you feel like crap picking out an outfit is the last thing that you want to worry about. I'm sure many cancer patients can relate to this. So tonight, im going to a concert and I feel well and gosh darn it! im going to get dolled up for it.

The benefit concert was nothing short of being amazing. Louise did such a fine job of putting all of it together.I was floored with the performers, the choir were wonderful, the orchestra was beautiful and the culture performances they were just spectacular. I cant believe that all of these people did this just to raise money for my transplant. I was floored and speechless, felt like my heart got so big that it took up my whole entire body. The auction items from all over the world was just so beautiful and intricate. People were just stunned at how beautiful the items were and bidding wars began. I estimated that there were about 175 audience members for a concert that was only put together probably about two weeks ago. Stunning concert, beautiful performances, 100% of all the concert tix revenue and auction sales will go toward my BMT. I was just teary eyed and felt like the luckiest girl in the world! I am so blessed to be surrounded by so many kind and caring people.

I cant sleep right now, but I really should go back to bed. Today is the fishing tournament and I really want to go, except Methotrexate aka "pinneaple" will make me be sensitive to the sun. So I might not be able to stay the whole entire time. *sadness* But I want to visit.

Oh yeah, before I forget......guess whose shoulder doesn't hurt anymore.......ME, ME, ME. After a week of pain and numbness, I no longer suffer from it and I was able to feel my left collar bone for the very first time in weeks. Its wonderful and it wouldnt have been possible without the prayers of many. So thank you and do wish me luck that the cancer will stay that way. :D


xoxo from the happiest girl in the world,
rina

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rina,
Glad you had a good day. Have fun at the tournament.I've been thinking about you a lot.
Bob (Obisby from the WebMagic board)

Anonymous said...

GUTLAK Rin !!!!

Anonymous said...

You are amazing, Rina! Keep up the good work and so will we!

It was wonderful to see you at the fishing tournament.

Love,

Teresa

Anonymous said...

rina..kita punya nama yg sama. Exactly the same!
that's how i found u (by google my own name) :p
moga2 cpt sembuh ya.. amiin.