Monday, July 28, 2008

I'm pumping again...

Today's visit to the Cancer Center didn't start out well. We showed up bright and early as I was eager to start my chemo treatment. It was something I was looking forward to the whole entire weekend. Ever since Wednesday the amount of painkillers that I took kept increasing and by Sunday I was so drugged up that all I did was sleep.

Unfortunately, there was a mix up at the CC. Apparently, Dr P forgot to mention to his staff about the change of treatments. To everyone, they thought I shouldnt be there until Tuesday to receive the Methotrexate. I told them that I met with Dr P on Friday and he had changed it to Cytoxin. It took about an hour and a half to clear the misunderstanding and it was a painful wait for me in the lobby as the painkillers started to wear off and my shoulder was throbbing a little bit. Anyways, I was very happy when they finally let me in the treatment room, although they wouldn't start my treatment for another hour after that at least I was allowed to sit in those comfy lazyboy chairs and have a pillow and a blanket that really did the trick for my achy body.

Then I found out that I wouldn't be receiving the Cytoxin, but instead I got Cisplatin......on a pump. :( I thought that I wouldn't have to see one of those again. But oh well, its only for 24 hours so it shouldn't be too bad. I would take the pump any day over this silly pain. Dr P has been consulting with another oncologist in Tulsa, he told me "Two brains are better than one" I think that made my mom happy. She's been really concerned with all the treatment failures.

The Cisplatin wont be the only chemo I will be receiving this week. Tomorrow and Wednesday I will be getting a completely new drug that I have never tried before. So new that I totally forgot the name of it. hah!

Anyways, its been 8 hours since I took my last painkillers. That makes me really happy, I really hope that I will no longer need it soon. Though tonight I will probably take some just to make sure that I sleep tonight and not be a pain in the butt to my mom at 4:30 in the morning! Dr P also gave me some morphine for the pain, but I probably wont take those. Simply because my stomach cannot handle it and I usually end up losing whatever I ate that day. Not a pretty sight! So I think I will avoid all of that.

Everything is looking good. My pump is...well pumping, the shoulder pain is under control without the help of painkillers, and no evident side effects so far. I do hope that this will be the one! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, girl! You're truly a fighter. oa. :-)

Anonymous said...

You've been a great fighter all this time, and always will be. Hang in there Rina, we all love you and pray for you

Anonymous said...

Go Girl! I know you can fight this. Hang in There.