Thursday, August 7, 2008

Low platelets...

Apparently I was wrong with my self-diagnosis. The cause of the itchiness and the redness was not caused of by the summer's sweltering heat, but because my platelets were low. My blood is unable to heal itself which explains that spots on my skin and the really bad itch. I found out about this when I had my blood drawn today at the Cancer Center. I wondered why they kept me there for an unusually long time when all I had to do was some blood work. I knew something was not right and Anita (the nurse) notified me about the condition of my platelets. She wanted me to get a platelet transfusion and so it is.

Around two this afternoon I went to the infusion clinic to get some platelets. It looks nothing like blood. In fact, its gooey and yellow that reminds me of a thick creamy broth. I had to take some tylenol before the transfusion to help with my never ending fever problem. After getting my temperature to be around 100 or so they finally gave me the platelets. The transfusion was short and sweet because it lasted only 30 minutes. It made me very happy. So far there's no reaction and im continuing to feel better and better. My energy level is improving and hopefully with the extra platelet boost I can have a good weekend. My appointment with Dr P has been bumped from Monday to Tuesday.

Right now I am still on alot of medications and I dread the times during the day when I have to take those pills. I hate pills and despise them more than anything. Its a crazy love/hate relationship that I have with my meds. I know that I cant get better without it, but I hate the crazy side effects that comes with the pills and plus one of my pills to help with my potassium level are the size of horse pills. They're huge! I gag everytime I take it, even when they're already cut in half. Meds taste disgusting and they leave a horrible aftertaste as well.

Well thats all I have for now. Please know that your support and prayers has really helped me get through this tough time. Please wish me luck that my body will continue to heal and that the tumor will stay under control since I will not be able to receive any type of treatment next week, which is very crucial. Have a wonderful evening everyone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rina I love reading your blog. I am amazed at how you manage to keep a sense of humor through all of this. You are one tough girl. I hope that whatever the doctors come up with gets you into remission so you can get that much deserved transplant. Hang in there, you are doing so well.