Thursday, August 14, 2008

I guess I just want to use this opportunity to say thank you to everyone who has helped with the fundraising. Whether is with your time and effort or through finances, I have never been so close to my goal of raising $100,000. The cost of the transplant seemed so daunting two months ago, but now its really comforting that we are at $81,000+ and really close to that final cost. So many people worked so hard and it is because of all of you this has been possible. Its such a cliche to say, but I feel like the most luckiest girl in the world.

Things are going well for me. I have never felt so good and healthy as I do this week. My blood counts are still really low, but im hoping that with yesterday's blood transfusion that it would take care of the low counts. I'm hoping that tomorrow's blood work will show continued improvements in counts so that I will be able to continue on with the DHAP chemo next week. The DHAP worked really well with the tumor despite being the cause that I was in the hospital.

Some may know the story about Eric Shanteau, the US Olympic swimmer, who despite being diagnosed with testicular cancer just last month continued to compete in the Olympics. He chose to delay treatment because it will put him out the waters for weeks that could put him out of the games. I find him to be so inspirational with the way he continued to pursue his dreams despite such a devastating news. I'm sure his family is going through alot with his dad also currently battling stage 4 lung cancer. I really thought that what he said is something that all cancer patients, old and young, should go by. "You can look at it one of two ways, you have cancer or cancer has you."

No comments: