Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Last chemo for a little while...

Yesterday and today I received my high dose Ara-C. This should be the last one for awhile (at least three weeks) depending on what Dr P recommend and what the tumors are doing. Today with all the pre-meds that the nurses gave me I really dont remember the times that I was there. It was either because I was so medicated or simply too tired and slept the whole entire time I was at the clinic. I am on so many pills more as a preventive measure rather than to treat the symptoms. Now I just feel lightheaded and tired constantly. I am still trying to figure out whether we took it too far with the preventive medications because I just feel useless right now.

My mouth is the only thing that is bothering me. My taste bud is awful, nothing tastes the way its supposed to and I keep tasting this acid-y taste which is very uncomfortable. The mouth sores are starting to make its debut in my mouth and the nausea will come and go during the night. Sleeping is starting to get uncomfortable but im still happy that I can squeeze in some sleep despite the random side effects. I am not feeling any pain from the tumors in my shoulder but I really cant tell whether its because of its size or the amount of painkillers that im taking.

Writing is so hard. I am beginning to get really tired. I want to apologize to those that have been trying to call me and I have not been able to respond. Please keep those encouraging messages comign through, I really do enjoy it when my mom read it to me. I love staying connected to all of you and thank you for continuing to be there for me! :)

To my fellow friends, have a fantastic first week of school! I wish I could be there on campus right now...

2 comments:

g4macgregor said...

Rina,
We are so very glad that things are looking positive. We have you in our thoughts and prayers always.

I appreciate your talking about the low blood counts. As you may remember - at the Mexican Dinner - I mentioned that I am doing chemo for a much less serious problem, but no fun - just the same.

My CBC's two weeks ago were very low and have us a bit concerned, but I went to the lab this morning for another count - so we'll see.

I know some much of how you feel: the dreaded daily pills, the itching and sores that come with scratching, the overwhelming fatigue, and fever.

Although I don't believe my treatment is as intense as yours, I take six (6) pills a day and get a shot every Friday - but I only have 22 of the 48 weeks to go! Hurray!

I am running out of energy, so I will sign off. Please know that we pray for you every day.

Greg & Ellen

Anonymous said...

Rina,
Hang in there, honey. Sounds like things are going well. There are a whole lot of people thinking about you and praying for you.
Bob (Obisby from the WebMagic NHL Board)